The past few days have pretty much been a nightmare due to all that’s going on with my mom’s health and family dynamics, but if it’s taught me anything, it’s that we can always seek and find hope in the darkest situations. My Word(s) For The Year in 2017 were Seek and Find and I certainly did just that. Through my seeking, I have found:
- How to show up to situations, be brave, and not back down in fear
- A strong trust in God when it comes to walking away from toxic relationships
- A redefined tribe of people that are consistently willing to get down on the ‘Arena floor’ and stand beside me through life’s toughest battles
- Ways to own and appreciate the ways I’m uniquely wired
- A deeper passion for foster/orphan care and becoming an ally to those in the trenches
- A greater understanding of healthy boundaries and how to set/live by them
- A deeper love for poetry, photography, and other art forms
- How to lead my family in a greater capacity
- A trusting team of co-workers who inspire me to greatness and will stand beside me through the many twists and turns of life.
- That your heart can break into a million pieces and heal into a stronger person as you let God help you pick up the pieces.
- How to embrace true belonging
This year has brought much change, and though I wasn’t expecting it to change in the ways it had, I don’t regret the journey I’ve taken from January 1, 2017 to here. A couple of months ago as I began seeking God for my ‘word’ to live by in 2018, I was led to a word that made next to no sense at the time. Now having walked through the rest of this year after a lot of reflecting, soul searching and dreaming, it all makes sense. My word for this year is RISE.
These are all things that I am believing God to do in and through me: mentally, physically, spiritually, and emotionally as I pursue 2018 with an intention to RISE. As I sit here typing this up in my mother’s hospital room after overwhelming and stressful circumstances, I am hopeful for greater things to come. There were many pieces of my life + heart that had both a literal & figurative death this year and I am looking forward to rising from those ashes. I want to embrace opportunities this year to take up arms with people, organizations, projects, and pursuits that continue to fuel the passions that God has placed in my heart this year. I am endeavoring to respond even more warmly and listen more to those around me that are different, hold different views and values than what I typically lean toward. I desire to develop a deeper relationship with God that helps me to see Him in the horizon of whatever circumstances may come. I believe that this will be year for me to become more hopeful, joyful, more passionate about people, and leverage my life to making even more meaningful connections. I pray that as I walk in true belonging that I will come more into being my whole self with no regrets. I am also ready to embrace new challenges and to walk with God through each of them. I am looking forward to 2018 being my year to RISE!